Sunday, April 22, 2018

Pizza Meatballs

These Pizza Meatballs are a quick, easy and kid-friendly lunch or dinner option. They're lower-carb,  packed with protein and taste great on their own and dipped in marinara!

Pizza Meatballs - lower carb and full of flavor

Hi friends!

We've been loving these Pizza Meatballs around here for the past week or two so I figured it was time to share them with you. If you follow me on Instagram, you know it took me several tries to get these right. But they were worth the extra effort!

Pizza Meatballs - enjoy on their own or dipped in marinara

The first time I made these I made them with tuna…and it just didn't work out all that well. I had the idea floating around in my head…and then Kelsey posted her Tuna Pizza Bites that looked delish so I knew I had to give my version a try. But…my version was dry and "not yummy" as Squish would say. The second time, I switched to ground chicken and continued with my idea of stuffing them with cubes of string cheese or pieces of fresh mozzarella. They were better, but still missing something.

The final time I went with shredded mozzarella to spread the cheese throughout and also mixed in a little marinara sauce to keep them nice and moist and flavorful. Definite winner. I rolled mine in breadcrumbs but I suppose you don't have to if you don't want to!

If you like the breadcrumbs for a little bit of crispy outer coating, these are best eaten the night you make them. The breadcrumbs won't stay crispy after being refrigerated but they still taste good and I made myself a batch to enjoy all week long.

Tuna Pizza Bites

The kids gobbled these up and the hubby also enjoyed them as a lower-carb alternative to pizza. They're great by themselves but I like dipping them in some extra marinara…or even in some bbq sauce. Yum!

Here's how you make them:

//

Pizza Meatballs

Preparation 5 min Cook Time 20 min Serves Makes 14 meatballs     adjust servings

These Pizza Meatballs are a quick, easy and kid-friendly lunch or dinner option. They're low-carb,  packed with protein and taste great on their own and dipped in marinara!

Ingredients

  • 1 pound ground chicken
  • 10 pepperoni, chopped
  • 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, divided
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/3 cup marinara sauce + extra for dipping

Instructions

In a large bowl, combine chicken, pepperoni, 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, spices, cheese and 1/3 cup sauce.

Mix well. 

Place remaining breadcrumbs on a plate. 

Form mixture into balls. They will be wet and a little sticky. Roll in breadcrumbs and place on a greased, foil-lined baking sheet. 

Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes, flipping the meatballs halfway through.

by Lindsay

//

Easy right? Let me know if you try these! Can't wait to hear what you think!

These Pizza Meatballs are a quick, easy and kid-friendly lunch or dinner option. They're low-carb,  packed with protein and taste great on their own and dipped in marinara!

These Pizza Meatballs are quick, easy and kid-friendly. Perfect for lunch or dinner, they're great on their own or dipped in some extra marinara.Click To Tweet

Enjoy!
–Lindsay–

The post Pizza Meatballs appeared first on The Lean Green Bean.



Original Content: Pizza Meatballs

No comments:

Post a Comment