Sunday, May 6, 2018

Slow Cooker Shredded Beef (Barbacoa)

This Slow Cooker Shredded Beef is easy to make in the crockpot for dinner and tastes better than the Barbacoa at Chipotle. Perfect in burrito bowls, on salads, in enchiladas and more.

Slow Cooker Shredded Beef (Barbacoa)

*Originally published 11/2014. Photos and post updated 5/2018*

Hi Friends!

Allow me to introduce this Slow Cooker Shredded Beef. You might also know it as barbacoa if you get it at Chipotle or other restaurants. You guys have been asking for more slow cooker recipes so today I decided to revisit an old recipe that my friend Marisa shared as a guest post several years ago. Back when she shared this recipe, I was super excited about it…but I never actually made it myself.

A couple weeks ago I decided to change that! Whenever I make shredded meat at home, I tend to use pork or chicken…but hubby is a big beef fan and this recipe has some seasonings that I don't typically use so I was excited to test it out. What I was not excited about was the fact that when I strategically went to the grocery store while I only had one kid, they didn't have the cut of beef I needed. So then I had to go to a second grocery store after I picked up kid #2…which made it even more work. Nevertheless, we prevailed and came home with what we needed.

Slow Cooker Shredded Beef, similar to Chipotle Barbacoa

This sauce does require a food processor or blender, which is one extra step, but I think it's totally worth the effort. It's super easy to throw everything in and it added such great flavor to the meat.

I love having a big batch of shredded meat on hand that I can then use throughout the week to make various dishes like burrito bowls, nachos, taco salads, enchiladas, sandwich wraps and more.

Adding the peppers does give it a bit of zing so I didn't give this batch to the kids but hubby and I are big fans of spicy food so we loved it! You can reduce the number of peppers you use to make it less spicy. And if you have extra peppers in your can like I did, I just froze mine in a ziploc bag to use in the future!

Here's how you make it:

//

Slow Cooker Barbacoa (Shredded Beef)

Slow Cooker Shredded Beef (Barbacoa)

This Slow Cooker Shredded Beef is easy to make in the crockpot for dinner and tastes better than the Barbacoa at Chipotle.

Ingredients

  • 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
  • 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
  • 3/4 cup chopped white onion
  • 5 garlic cloves
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 3 pounds beef roast (i used chuck roast or you could use bottom round)
  • 2 cups water

Instructions

  1. In a food processor or blender, combine the 3 chipotle peppers (removed from the can with some adobo sauce), cilantro, onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, the juice of one lime, and the apple cider vinegar. Blend until almost smooth.
  2. Place beef in slow cooker.
  3. Pour the homemade sauce on top. Add two cups of water.
  4. Cook on low for 8 hours.

by Lindsay

//

There you have it! Simple and delicious.

This Slow Cooker Shredded Beef is easy to make in the crockpot for dinner and tastes better than the Barbacoa at Chipotle. Perfect in burrito bowls, salads and enchiladas!

If you're not familiar with Marisa's blog, Uproot Kitchen, be sure to go check it out! She shares great recipes like Whole Wheat Banana Bread, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars and Slow Cooker Short Rib Ragu with Polenta.

Enjoy!
–Lindsay–

The post Slow Cooker Shredded Beef (Barbacoa) appeared first on The Lean Green Bean.



Original Content: Slow Cooker Shredded Beef (Barbacoa)

No comments:

Post a Comment